Monday, October 22, 2007

Ok, I just had the BEST weekend ever! There was a retreat this weekend here at camp and I was scheduled to serve all weekend. The retreat was for kids aged 8-11, and it was incredible. And I was scheduled to be an All-Star. An All-Star gets to help run the games. So, I was games girl all weekend! At first I was really dreading the weekend. I had (still have) a load of homework that needed to be done and I really need to focus on my readings, but I knew that there was no way Iwould get any of it done. I'm not gonna lie I was stressing out. The person who did the scheduling for the weekend, didn't schedule me to work Friday night conveniently enough. Mainly because the youth pastor at my church was going to be short leaders and he needed me there. So I went to youth group and right after youth...at 10:30 pm...we had a game scheduled for the kids. I was exhausted and stressing out about my homework and I am playing games when I should be in bed. I was not excited about that at all. Friday night I was not very happy and I was very thankful when the time came for me to go to bed. On Saturday, we had to be up at the crack of dawn to have a staff meeting to see how the day would unfold. I was again exhausted and wanted to go back to bed. After breakfast, I knew that I needed to find some energy. I sat down and I prayed that God would give me the strength that I would need to be a fun energetic leader throughout the day. After that, we started the games! I had so much fun leading the games and playing the games. During one of the games though, a girl slipped on the wet grass and hit her head. She was covered in mud, her head was hurting and she was bawling. I tried to talk to her a little bit and calm her down, but she was so upset aboout her clothes being dirty because that was the only sweater that she had for the weekend. I told her that I could bring her up to her room and she could get changed and she could wear one of my sweaters for the day. But she was still crying about it, so I told her I would throw her clothes in the washing machine and I would have her sweater back to her before dinnertime. She stopped crying, and we were on our way to the laundry room! It was so great to make her feel better, and we had a good laugh about her slip too. To say the least, the rest of the day was fantastic! I had so much fun with all the kids! It was incredible to see the way that they just look up to you. It wasn't even a question, they had no idea who I was but yet they were totally comfortable with me. Even though I didn't get any homework done over the weekend, it was worth it to see those kids come and have a good time learning about Jesus.
I actually had so much fun this past weekend, it got me thinking about how exciting the summertime would be. Staying for the summer has definitely been a thought in my head a lot lately! But we will see what happens!

No comments: