Sunday, October 7, 2007
So, junior youth is on Wednesday nights and then senior youth is on Friday nights. Last week, Scott and I went to junior youth and it was very interesting. There were surprisingly, a lot of kids. They are all from broken homes and you could see the need for attention that every single one of them had. We played games at the beginning to get some of their energy out, and to put the energy to something productive and fun. From the moment one child was in the building, there was some form of physical contact. They were kicking each other and punching each other. It was so strange to see even the girls participating. It was full out fighting though. I broke up a fight between a group of boys, it was just something that I had never had to deal with before. While the games were being played there was still an enormous amount of violence. It blew my mind how violent they were. The kids were swearing at each other and the talk was about anger and how to control it, which was very appropriate. During the entire "talk" kids were yelling out, and yelling at each other. It was just very chaotic and draining. And it was the first time for trying small groups and it worked fairly well I thought. They broke up the girls and boys, so I had a small group of girls. They all had a lot of things that make them angry, and they all said at least one other person in the youth group that they hated. It was so intense. So, I talked to them about controlling that anger and releasing it in healthy ways. I really hope that when I go back on Wednesday night, some of the girls will be able to tell me how they controlled their anger. It would be really great if anyone who reads this, keeps all those kids in their prayers. It is going to be really stretching for me to deal with kids like that, because that is not something that I am used to. Anyway, that's all for now, but I will continue to write about my nights at junior and senior youth!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment